Puerto Rico National Open Surfing Team Selection Policy for:
- ISA WORLD SURFING GAMES
- CENTRAL AMERICAN GAMES
- PANAMERICAN GAMES
- ALL ISA OLYMPIC CYCLE TEAM EVENTS
Updated January 2017
- To select the best athletes to represent Puerto Rico at the International Surfing Events
- To provide a clear criteria for athletes who strive toward being selected to represent their country.
2.0 NATIONAL SELECTION PANEL:
The National selection panel for the National Junior Surfing Team will comprise of:
- National Coach
- National Selection Committee
- FSPR Board of Directors
3.0 ELEGIBILITY FOR NATIONAL TEAM SELECTION:
To be eligible for selection in the National Team, athletes must:
- Be an citizen of Puerto Rico with a valid United States passport
- Be a registered member of the Puerto Rico Surfing Federation
- Comply in all respects with the drugs policy of ISA and the WADA Code
- Not be subject to any suspension or disqualification imposed by the FSPR or other ISA / WSL surfing authority having jurisdiction over the Athlete or the competition.
- Have participated at some point in the Puerto Rico National Surfing Qualifying Series
4.0 The Puerto Rico Open Surfing Team:
The format of the National Open Surfing Team to compete at the ISA World Surfing Games:
- 4 x Open Men (Shortboard)
- 2 x Open Women (Shortboard)
5.0 Selection Criteria:
- 1 Athletes
- 1.1 The Puerto Rico National Surfing Qualifying Series will determine the selection of the Open Men’s and Open Women’s divisions, ages 16 years and up, with the exception of one position, which will be reserved for a wildcard selection.
- 1.2 Where a selected Puerto Rico Team Member declines their selection or is unable to compete as a result of failing the medical screening and fitness test as provided in clause 6.1 below, this Athlete will be replaced with a wildcard selection.
5.2 Wildcard Selection
The wildcard selection is at the sole discretion of the National Selection Committee.
Results and rankings in events that will be considered include:
|OPEN MEN||OPEN WOMEN|
|National Surfing Qualifying Series||National Surfing Qualifying Series|
|Most recent ISA WSG||Most recent ISA WSG|
|Most recent WQS/ALAS||Most recent WQS/ALAS|
Note: It is not compulsory for surfers to enter ALL the events listed above to be considered for selection into the Puerto Rico team. It is up to the discretion of each surfer to choose events that they feel most accommodates their career goals and aspirations.
7.0 Appeals: Decisions made by the National Selection Committee for athletes and team coaches are final, there is no right of appeal.
MORE INFORMATION FSPR BYLAWS & RULEBOOK